Sunday, June 8, 2008

Where the heart is

A few weeks ago, when I was waiting to hear if I was even going to get a job interview, Andy and I were talking about our finances. We are very diligent budget keepers, working hard to be debt free (and we are....my student loans were paid off in February, so the only thing we have is our mortgage). In a lot of ways, though, that means that we scrimp and save and look for bargains and don't do a lot of fun things, because the money would be better spent elsewhere or it's just not there. Especially after a few emergencies this past year. Make no mistake about it, we are blessed beyond measure. We are in a really incredible position...

All that said, we were discussing what would happen if I got this new job, and a regular salary. Before we were married, we went through Financial Peace with Dave Ramsey. We were discussing our Baby Steps....and how we had completed the first two (starting an emergency fund and eliminating debt). We are currently on the third step, which is fully funding an emergency fund with 3-6 months of living expenses. From there, you start investing for retirement and then paying off your house faster. All great things.

We were also talking about how much our giving would be increasing, and how exciting that is. We are both gift givers--Andy primarily enjoys providing monetary support, in the form of missionary support and church giving. He loves being able to support ministry. I do too, but I also love to give physical gifts (case in point....I have about 46 different ideas for my sister's birthday gift). So we were both excited about what this new salary would mean in that area.

Then, after all this very adult and very wise conversation, I ended it with this:

"But really, I think I'll go shopping more. And buy some stuff that I want."

And that is why I should do this Bible study this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While 46 different gifts sounds pretty amazing, you know that I all I really need is to be able to see you and Andy sometime around my birthday. I kind of miss you guys (by kind of I mean REALLY)!
-Lauren