Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Blessings beyond measure

On Monday, I was officially offerred a job as a ninth grade English teacher, and I formally accepted. Since then, things have just gotten even sweeter.

--First, I was overwhelmed by the support and encouragement I got from friends and family. Sweet text messages, encouraging phone calls, and even a congratulations gift from a dear friend at church that was filled with all sorts of fun things a new teacher will need. I was going to take a picture of it, but my batteries are dead. I have just literally been tearing up thinking about how loved I feel--these dear friends truly know how to rejoice with those who rejoice. I just can't praise the Lord enough for them. A year ago, I felt completely alone, except for Andy, of course. I had left home, graduated college (where I lived with my most favorite people), gotten married, and moved to this small little town where I didn't know a soul. It was seriously one of the most difficult times of my life. I sat in our dark little apartment every day and cried while Andy was at work. And now, a year later to be experiencing this support, joy, love, and encouragement...it's just such a blessing.

--Second, I went to the school yesterday and got a tour of the building, and my materials (2 textbooks and 28 supplementary books) and such. My classroom is huge! One of the largest in the school. And, it will have a one-to-one computer lab installed so my students will have access to a computer from their very seats. Oh the writing we will do! My mentor teacher is my department chair, and her room is right next door. She has been tremendously helpful in letting me know what I'm going to need and what to do and such.

--Then, this is kind of an embarrassing story....I had to go to the superintendent's office to fill out some paperwork, and he wanted to greet me and welcome me to the corporation. Well, it was pouring down rain, possibly harder than I had ever seen in my life...and I had to race to my car with my box of books...then into the superintendent's office. I was dripping wet. Literally. I dripped on the rug. So...great first impression. He was very kind about it, though.

--And last night was Bible study at the church...and it was just so encouraging yet again. I'm sad we only have two weeks left. Four weeks is so short!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Congrats on the job!!! As a fellow job-seeker that news is like GOLD to me!!! Wonderful news!!