Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Date

For the past two days, I've been off of school.  Not shocking, considering the weather.  The surprising part--Andy's off too.  There was no power at his office today, so no work.  We've had ourselves a snow date!  It's been kind of nice being at home.  I had the house mostly clean from the weekend, and since I've only taught one day this week, I was all caught up with school stuff too (well...there is a stack of quizzes that will take about thirty minutes to grade, I just haven't found the motivation to tackle them yet).  School's already canceled for tomorrow, so I'll get it done then.

Conditions have been interesting here.  We had a little snow Sunday night, enough for a two hour delay on Monday...but Monday night we had about 5-6 inches of snow.  Then all day Tuesday we got freezing rain and ice.  And then we got a few more inches of snow on top of it today.  It's a perfect tri-fecta of nasty winter weather.  Several people are without power, and it sort of feels like the aftermath of Ike from earlier this fall.  We have been blessed--no power outages this time, but there are so many who haven't been that fortunate.  I can't even imagine.  Well, I kind of can...I just don't want to think about the cold with the no power.  I heard on the news tonight that near Elizabethtown, Kentucky (yes, the one from the movie) about 80 percent of people are out of power and it could be upwards of a week before they get it back on. 

So today, in light of no housework or schoolwork and treacherous road conditions, I cuddled up on the sofa and read to my little heart's content.  I've actually read 80 percent of a series of books by Karen Kingsbury.  I checked out the 1st, 3rd, and 4th by accident on Sunday (the second and fifth weren't at the library).  I found the 5th at The Perfect Gift on Monday, but I had to order the second...so I've read all but the second.  Hurry Amazon!  I'm going to wait to talk about them until I've finished them all.  I will say this--they have brought me to tears more times than I can count in the past four days. 

Also, today seemed like the perfect day for yummy candle scent throughout the house...so I tried one I bought at Yankee Candle after Christmas--Jack Frost.  You know, because he's totally nipping at our noses right now.  Turns out, Jack and I aren't so close.  It's supposed to be peppermint and vanilla...but it doesn't smell like it.  It's got a sickeningly sweet smell that kind of gets stuck in your throat.  Andy says it smells like the inside of a hookah bar...which is a smell that nauseates me.  Which is why I never go to one.  Well, one of many reasons why.  Anyway, Jack's going to go bye-bye. 

I got my camera back this weekend, and had some fun yesterday (and probably tomorrow...so I'll give you some of my pretty winter photos soon :))

No comments: