Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Book Eight: The Warrior

All right, so my eighth book of the year is definitely one of my favorites so far.  It's "The Warrior" by Francine Rivers.n147552

I basically have never not loved one of her books.  Did you get that?  Francine is totally a rockstar, and I have loved every book of hers that I have read.  Redeeming Love, The Last Sin Eater, The Last Shofar Blew (I sobbed through a VAST majority of this book...and so appreciated it), and the Lineage of Grace series.  Sadly, I think I have hit my limit of her books that are stocked in our local library.  The Warrior is actually the second book in the Sons of Encouragement series, and oddly, the only one our library carries.  I told Andy before I checked it out that I probably shouldn't, because I'd want to read the rest of the series....and I was right.  I discovered that I can order the whole series online....for the low cost of 54.99.  But since that's a week of groceries, I will probably wait just a bit.  Like two weeks or so.  Because that's how well I do at waiting.

Anyway, back to the book.  This book is a fictional account of Caleb, of Caleb and Joshua fame.  It tells of his experiences with the Israelites during the Exodus (of the book of Exodus fame), his time as a spy in Canaan, the forty years spent wandering in the desert, and the eventual settling in Canaan.  The whole book is just excellent.  My friend Francine (she doesn't know we're friends...but we are.  Like Beth Moore and Kelly Minter are my friends and just don't know it.  Oh, and Angie Smith.  I know I'm weird) does a beautiful job at looking into the heart issues of the Israelites, and into ourselves.  Caleb's heart is devoted to the Lord, to serving Him, and he can see the sin and debauchery around him.  I so loved this book.  Seriously.  You just can't go wrong with a Francine Rivers book.

No comments: