Friday, March 18, 2011

One to remember

As I enter the single digit weeks, I want to remember the things that happen on a day-t0-day basis.  I realize that a big chapter in our life is about to change, and that this will be our only first child (besides Oliver, of course…but preparing for Oliver to arrive involved a trip to the store to buy a leash, collar, some food, bowls, and toys).  I recognize that my memory is failing these days (seriously) and I want to record some of the things that are happening and going on.  So I may end up posting multiple stories a day, and some may be completely dumb, but they are all things I want to remember from right now.  Here’s the first.

Yesterday we had a tornado drill at school.  As we got back inside the classroom, I got a serious cramp in the arch of my right foot.  I must have leaned forward with a look of pain on my face because the next thing I realized through the pain was that my class was completely silent.  My class is never completely silent…especially after returning from any sort of drill.  I looked up, and saw 18 panic stricken ninth graders staring at me.  One finally ventured a question.

“Um, Mrs. Cook, are you okay?”

“I…have…a..cramp…in…my…foot!” I managed.

It was like someone had popped a hot air balloon.  The rush of breath released was audible and the entire class adopted one large look of relief.

Someone finally said it.  They saw me wince in pain and every one of them thought I was going into labor right there in the classroom.  It was their worst nightmare and probably my own.  Once I got the cramp worked out of my foot, we all had a good laugh about it.

No comments: