Monday, September 29, 2008

Potato Soup

This weekend was pretty low-key around the Cook house. Saturday we had soccer, then Andy and I went our separate ways to work for awhile. I spent about three hours at school...he spent about eight at work. Poor thing has two major projects due this week, and no time to finish. So I went grocery shopping, did laundry, and baked for a bit. I ended up making: homemade pizza for dinner, pumpkin muffins (from the recipe in my NOG Bible study--so good), zuchinni muffins, and bread.

Sunday, I got sick. Miserably sick. We were teaching Sunday School, and I thought I was going to keel over. As soon as our class left, I looked at Andy and said, "My head hurts so much I think I'm going to throw up." We came home before church and I spent my day on the couch. I was hot and cold and had a headache and felt sick to my stomach and my throat hurt.....and it just kept on all day. I slept away most of the afternoon. Last night, I really wanted soup for dinner, and I didn't know of any way to get it without me having to make it.

So I pulled my miserable self off the sofa long enough to make potato soup...then went right back to my little bed. The potato soup was the bright spot of my day. Here's how I made it (I didn't really have a recipe...I just kind of threw stuff together)

6 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 T. margarine
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks finely chopped
Turkey bacon (about half a pack, chopped)
A few T. flour
3 c. chicken broth
2 c. half and half
1 c. milk
Salt/pepper
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese

Boil the potatoes in a pot until soft. While the potatoes are boiling, melt margarine in a large skillet. Add the onions, celery and bacon and cook until vegetables soft, about 5-8 mins. Coat the vegetables with flour, stirring to combine and cover. Add chicken broth, stir until thickened some. At this point, your potatoes should be ready. Drain the potatoes and add to the other ingredients. Stir in half and half, milk, salt and pepper. Heat through. Let set for longer until you achieve the right consistency. Add in cheese and melt through.

This was so good. It was especially delightful today as leftovers. Mom, I'm afraid this is not a low-fat recipe. But it was darned good.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Your soup sounds good! I hope you are feeling better. And yes, I am reading your blog now :) I am just so good at keeping in touch [/sarcasm]

Anonymous said...

umm...can you add some music to your blog? I really feel it just adds something...just a thought

Anonymous said...

Hey-I tried this a few days ago-and it turned out really good! I'm putting this in my recipe book with you as the author :)