Friday, September 19, 2008

Part 1: The Storm

I'm going to post a few different entries today, to catch up on this week. This will be Part 1: The Storm.

On Sunday, after church, Andy and I came home. We had stopped at Subway on our way home, and were coming home to watch the Colts game, do laundry, and catch up on schoolwork (me, not Andy). We had a nice full refrigerator and freezer, completely stocked from my trip to the store on Friday, where I had shopped for the next 22 meals.

On the way home, Andy said to me, "Whoa--did you see that dust blow by. That was quite a wind."

A moment later, or maybe before, it's fuzzy now, we had seen an electrical wire that seemed suspiciously low. We really didn't think much of this at the time.

When we got home, we had no power. That was 11:30 Sunday morning.

Soon after, the wind started to blow like mad. Andy was outside on the roof yanking branches off our trees that he thought might hit the roof.


About an hour or so into the windstorm, I sent my sister a picture that looked similar to this:




She called me back, and read to me what weather.com was saying about the wind in our area, since you know, I had no power. As she and I were talking, I watched the ladder fly across my backyard. I thought my husband was still on the roof...so I think I shouted something into the phone and took off. He was on the ground, and all was well


Eventually, a branch from our neighbor's yard took out the power line completely (for the third time since May) and this time actually ripped the weatherhead off our house. Here are some photos of that damage.




Once the storm was over, we went for a drive to some of the surrounding neighborhoods and discovered that the damage was widespread. All of these pictures were taken within a few blocks of our house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful no one we know was hurt.