Sunday, August 14, 2011

Baby weight drama

Since Liam has been born, my weight has been stationary.  I lost several pounds shortly after his birth, but since he was about 4 or 5 weeks old, I hadn’t lost any weight.  In fact, when I stopped pumping I gained 10 lbs. literally overnight. 

As in, the day after I stopped pumping I couldn’t fit into my pants the next morning. 

My fat pants.  The ones I bought after Liam was born.  The ones in a size I had never even skirted near before.  They were too tight.  So I cried.

  Because I can assure you I hadn’t eaten 35,000 calories, so it was really most upsetting.  I was trying to lose weight, but nothing was really working. 

Then last weekend, Andy was with his friends from college at their annual gathering, and one of the men had lost 70 lbs. on a diet over the course of the past few months.  This is one of Andy’s friends who is the most levelheaded and not at all weird (which is saying something)(my mom wanted this particular friend to date one of her coworkers), so Andy inquired about his diet.  It has a real name, but I don’t remember it, but it’s basically a slow carb diet.  So for the past week, we have tried it.  Andy lost 15 pounds (I know, I want to hurt him), and I lost 5.  So we’re definitely going to keep it up.

The plan goes something like this:

You are on the diet for 6 days a week.  You take one day a week off..for us, that’s Saturday.  On your day off, you eat whatever the heck you want. 

For the rest of the week, you are limited to meat, vegetables, and beans (lentils, legumes, nuts also).  No fruit, no dairy, no sugar, no grains or pasta.  You are supposed to eat 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up.  So last week we had 2 eggs and a half cup of egg whites and a 1/2 cup of black beans for breakfast (I found a recipe for Cuban style black beans online that used dried beans….and it’s so much better than anything that comes from a can).  We had taco soup for lunch, and then for dinner some sort of meat/vegetable combination.  We are both trying to avoid snacking, which is only difficult at 3 pm and 10 pm for me.  It honestly wasn’t too bad…I think knowing that if I had a chocolate or sugar craving, I could satisfy it in a few days was helpful.

The hardest part so far was today at Walgreens when the cashier tried to convince me to buy a candy bar because they were on sale for 49 cents.  I wanted to shout GET BEHIND ME SATAN at him, but I refrained.  Then came home and told Andy we have to go back on Saturday.

No comments: