Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The best night of my life.

I slept last night.  Like seriously slept.  For the first time in a LONG time.  The last several weeks have been characterized by lots of tossing and turning, waking up to go to the bathroom, waking up because Andy or Ollie is crowding my space.  Waking up just because.  Waking up because Andy woke up.  Waking up because Ollie woke up.  Just lots of waking up.  Lots of restless sleep.

And lots of really cranky days.  My brain has been beyond gone.  I walk into things, I fall over.  I trip.  I stop halfway through a sentence.  Basically, I’ve been my mom.  (Not that you’re cranky, mama :)).

But not last night.  I hate to even say this because it’s a little bit horrible.  Last night Andy slept on the sofa because he needed to be upright.  He is still miserably sick right now (he didn’t go to work on Monday OR Tuesday—that has NEVER happened before in the history of his life….probably the last time he missed two days of something was when he got his skull fractured in sixth grade…seriously), so he slept in the living room.  I feel bad for him.  I know he’s sleeping horribly.  I feel even guilty about my joy in his suffering.  As I should—I think I may win Wife of the Year for that one.

But the sleep.  Oh mercy.  I fell asleep at 9:45 last night, and woke up this morning at about 5:25 (way before the alarm).  I felt clear headed.  Rested.  My back and hips weren’t in pain.  I was sprawled diagonally across the bed, taking up seriously the whole thing…and Oliver was tucked in next to me, sprawling out his little legs and snoring a bit. 

When we finally got up, we both had more energy than we’ve had in a long time.  In fact, he’s running circles around the living room right now.  I am rested and excited to go to work today. 

It’s like we’re a new woman and dog.  Now if only Andy could feel better too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The saying is a cold takes two weeks but watch close as many are going in to pneumonia.