Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Lauren K!

Today is my sweet baby sister's 21st birthday. It makes me feel kind of old. You know, since I'm a whole two years older. So in honor of Lauren's birthday, I am going to tell you 21 things I love about her.

1. Her dedication. When this girl wants something, she works for it. Big time. Which is why 99 percent of the time when you call her during the school year, she's studying.

2. Her insane diseases. Seriously, the girl is a walking medical anomaly. I don't love that she has them....mostly I just marvel at how well she handles it. Her doctors appointment lists are ridiculous....and I would be moaning and groaning about it every second of the day, but she never complains.

3. Her compassion for others. She is never quick to judge, and always takes the time to care for other people.

4. Her deep seeded tomboy nature. For years we couldn't get her to wear anything but swooshy pants and t-shirts or sweatshirts. She still owns more t-shirts than anyone I know (which is also the opposite of me...I don't have enough t-shirts to make it through my workouts without stealing some from Andy)

5. The way we laugh at the same things. She always has an appropriate response to my stories.

6. The fact that she's trying to become more feminine--even daring to wear crazy high heels that I would probably pass by.

7. Her excitement when she realized that her rear end was no longer completely flat. Girlfriend was rocking her new curve. Oh that we should all be so blessed.

8. The fact that she was my dad's pseudo son for so many years--at least when it came to movie viewing choices. Lauren loves her boy movies. To this day, Andy says to me, "But your sister really likes (or would like) this movie" to try to convince me to watch something with him.

9. That she and my husband act like they are blood brother and sister.

10. I love it (and am totally disgusted) that she was crazy excited about getting to see a cadaver at chiropractic school

11. I love that she was helping my dad check grocery stores all across Ft. Wayne to try to find the tea that I wanted. Even if we never did find it.

12. I love that we had our own traditions in childhood--watching every Hayley Mills movie we could get our hands on, even if it meant sneaking out of bed to do it (you did that with me, right Lauren? for some reason, I just blanked), and cooking a special lunch for each other on the last day of summer break (aka the day Mom was gone...since teachers start school earlier than students)

13. I love that she was among the first to show a llama in 4-H. Seriously, it's just too funny.

14. I love that she has a hard time shopping for a dress for a formal dinner. And that I can send her to the places she needs to go. And educate her in the merits of a large accessory collection.

15. One more about her wardrobe--I love that she has to buy an all new wardrobe to be an RA because they told them not to wear sweats and tanks around all the time.

16. I love that she can watch the same episodes of Monk and any of the Law and Orders over and over and over and over and over again. I'm not sure my dad loves it so much.

17. I love that she watched Angels in the Outfield with me one summer...over and over and over and over and over again.

18. I love that she fills me in on the things mom forgets to tell me about. And vice versa.

19. I love hearing her stories from work during the summer. I thought my experiences at the reservoir were bad...but Lauren can beat me hands down.

20. I love seeing the adult she is becoming.

21. I love that she is MY sister. And that she is fabulous.

I love you, Lauren! Have a fantastic birthday!

No comments: