Monday, September 28, 2009

A completely pointless post.

I have some very pointless things to share.  Mostly because real life is hard.  And I don’t want to deal with real life via the interwebs.  So if I know you in real life, and you know about the hardness, and are curious about why I’m avoiding it, this is why.  I can’t process it right now.  I need a few days.  Or a week.  Or six months.  I’m a slow processer.  If I was a computer, you’d throw me away.  Mom, Grandma, I’m really okay.

Now on to my pointless-ness.  I was making some connections this weekend (in my head—not physical or personal).  And I realized something kind of funny.  People think and act differently based on their choice of news sources.  And here’s my completely circumstantial evidence to barely back up that claim (why yes, I did just teach my speech class about proper evidence in a persuasive speech…you mean it didn’t look like this?  huh.)

My husband gets his primary news from countless hours of CNN, cnn.com, and The Drudge Report.  He is an angry man (at least when it comes to the news…not really in other things, he’s fairly pleasant).  But he is convinced that the world is going to crap.  And that we are going to have to leave the country or something crazy like that.  Please know I’m totally exaggerating and making things up.  It’s what I do.  This isn’t really what my husband says.  He just gets really excited and then I forget what he says and make up things like this. 

My mother-in-law gets her news from FOX News.  She watches hours of it.  And she is convinced that the swine flu is going to kill us all.  She’s trying to figure out what to do about flu shots and is certain that it is going to kill everyone.  Again, I don’t really remember what she said, I’m totally making her reaction up.  I have met people who have survived the swine flu with no issues (except, you know, for the flu-like symptoms) and we discussed this. 

I get my news from TIME magazine (which my husband does not enjoy, thankyouverymuch) cnn.com, Kiplingers (for finance) and to be honest, people.com and Chelsea Lately.  Clearly, the last two do not cover the hard-hitting news so much.  But I can tell you anything you want to know about the Kardashian sisters.  Also, I can tell you about how the poor girl from the Miss Teen USA pageant in 2007 who horribly flubbed her interview had no idea that Chelsea Handler was making fun of her through her entire interview in 2009.  And I don’t know what issues I have, because I’m not as aware of my own.  Unless it’s possibly the borderline unhealthy knowledge of the Kardashian sisters.  I didn’t really make any of that up.

I would totally fail a persuasive speech in my class.  I’d tear me apart and tell me to do some real work.

That’s all.  I’m curious.  Where do other people get their news?  Evening news?  Different websites?  Newspapers? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get most of my news from a blog about a cook..... or the 6 am news report on the radio as I try to get out of bed. Remember there is a reason for everything even if we don't know what it is. Hang in there. Love Aunt Cris