Friday, August 7, 2009

Why I don’t necessarily love summer

One might think that as a teacher, I live for summer.

And in February, I would have told you that was the truth.

But I’ve discovered something this summer.

I don’t really love summer.

Now, don’t get me wrong.  There are a whole lot of things I LOVE about summer—vacations, the pool, wearing skirts and dresses without tights, getting to sleep in, summer rainstorms (only when they don’t smell like dead worms when they are over), and the time I get to spend with Andy.

But there are some things that I don’t love.

I don’t have a real structure, which makes me lazy.  I can accomplish far more in a day during the school year than I can in the summer.  Because I have to.  Having a schedule and a deadline is crucial for me.  Without it, I’m likely to lie on the sofa and watch two hours of Home Improvement every day. 

I don’t get out as much.  Which means I don’t talk.  So I just kind of shut off.  Completely.  It’s impossible to carry on a conversation with me right now.  I have nothing to say.

Unless you want to hear about what Mark and Randy did on yesterday on Home Improvement.  Or about Brad dressing up as Raggedy Andy for Halloween because his girlfriend was going be Raggedy Ann. 

In the fall, I have a routine.  I have a structure.  I know what is expected of me, and I kick my rear into gear and get it done.

Today I had plans, and I got things done.  I exercised.  I ran errands.  I went to the library.  I met teacher peeps (not from my building, from the elementary school) for lunch.  And then I work in my classroom.  I just spent a few hours over in my room and it was lovely.  I got to pray over the room, hang up some posters, and start getting some things organized.  Now I am working on short grammar lessons, and coming up with a very genius idea for making grammar a little less painful.  Having something to do makes me happy.

And as good as the “Sunny Laundry” air freshener on my desk, and summery smelling candles we have around the house all are, I am for sure excited about pulling out my Harvest candle from Yankee Candle, and pumpkin spice…and something apple cider-y from Wal-Mart.  Fall candles are basically the best.

So summer, while I will miss sleeping late and being a lazy bones, I am excited to be productive again.  It’s time to slip it back into Lorelai gear (full-speed, hopped up on caffeine).  I’ve been Mrs. Bennett for far too long. 

No comments: