Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Taking some time

I have a lot of things to blog about. I still haven't finished the last day of the girls trip. Several more books. Our whole trip last week. And I'll get to it. But not this week.

Last week, when we got back in the US, my mom let me know that my great-grandma Doe wasn't feeling well, and was in the clinic. I had decided to go home tomorrow to see her, because my parents and sister were to come here today.

Grandma Doe died in her sleep early this morning. It seems wrong to type that. My grandma was as sharp as a tack and stinking hilarious. When we would visit her at her house, she'd tell us we could write whatever we wanted in her dust, but we'd better not date it. In high school, I interviewed her for a school project, and it was one of the most informative experiences of my life. It was then that I learned that she had gotten married during the Depression, and didn't have a wedding. The last time I visited with her she told me that when people walked by her room, they would say, "Hi, Doe" and she would think they were saying "pie dough" and eventually want some pie. Shortly after Brittney Spears shaved her head, she asked my dad if he was going to get a haircut like hers. Before our wedding, she told everyone she saw that she was going to be there--that she was going to see her great-granddaughter get married....and she showed them the loops that she had crocheted that attached the ribbon to the bridesmaids dresses.

I am thankful for these memories--and for countless others. I am thankful that I got 24 years to know my great-grandma, and that she was a real part of my life. I knew her. My sister knew her. We didn't have a once a year relationship with our Grandma Doe, she was our grandma--and she was great :)

A few years ago, she told me that when the good Lord was ready to take her, she was going to be ready to go. She was ready, and now she is home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put Ashley. If you still have the interview with her from high school, I would love to read it. Love Aunt Cris