Sunday, February 15, 2009

Not the right crowd

I have a lot on my mind right now, a lot that I need to figure out.  It's been an interesting week around these parts, and it's not something I'm able to put into words just yet.  I'm still working through it and praying through it, but I thought I'd share a funny story.

First, I have to tell you: I'm a closet Beyonce fan.  I'm not totally proud, but I seriously love me some Beyonce.  And not just her work--I totally loved Destiny's Child too.  How can you not love the lyrical genius who came up with the word Bootylicious? 

You'll understand that confession in a moment. 

Last night, we had a Valentine's banquet with our church (because Mr. Cook and I we're old....we enjoyed a nice trip to Wal-Mart where I picked out my own Valentine's gift--some new 5 lb. weights and a Walk Away Your Hips and Thighs DVD--a lovely lunch a Frisch's--which made both of us sick all afternoon--and some classy Arnold Schwarzenegger movie we bought on Blu-Ray before said banquet).  Now I will tell you, this crowd skewed a bit older.  There were a few people closer to our age, but most, well, Grandma, you would have had a blast. 

Well, with said sweet crowd, we played a game.  Each team drew a word from the basket and had to come up with and sing a song that had that word in the lyrics.  Some were easy, some were hard.  At one point our team drew this infamous word: lady (or ladies).

Can anyone give me a "All the single ladies, all the single ladies"

But something told me that it might be wise for me to keep that to myself.

Because nothing says bad news like breaking out in "I'm up on him, he up on me" or "Cause if you liked you should have put a ring on it" when you're sitting next to your husband who's sitting next to your pastor. 

It wouldn't have been my proudest moment. 

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider it.  Or that I didn't whisper sing the song in my husband's ear...simply because I know how much he hates it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, you crack me up! I loved this story so much that I laughed (full Lauren laugh) twice. Jeff is a huge Beyonce fan so he also really liked it! Btw, tell Andy to bring some earplugs to my wedding because that song is the bouquet toss song. Because all the single ladies need to put their hands up for that.