Monday, October 6, 2008

Some of my more hidden traits...

In honor of just because, I thought I'd share with you a few things that not too many people know about me....So here we go:


1. I start each morning with a cup of coffee to perk me up (with creamer...I think we've covered that)....and end each day with a cup of tea, to wind down (it's the only way I can fall asleep well)


2. If I have a snack that's too salty, I need something sweet. If I have something too sweet, I need something salty. For balance, of course.


3. Every night, I have a few songs that I have to listen to before I go to bed: Mighty to Save by Laura Story, You're Not Alone by Meredith Andrews, and Hope Now by Addison Road. I don't own any of these songs, so I turn on the YouTube video of each to listen to them. Andy has recommended that maybe I just buy them.


4. I secretly want to be a runner. I'm so impressed by people that run. I want to do it...it just hurts. I haven't figured out how to get past the burning in my chest thing. But I'm going to. Seriously.


5. I want to be able to do everything. I want to be a good wife, a wise steward of my resources, an excellent wife and homemaker....I want to be a great cook and baker, I want to have a beautiful and spotless home. I want to learn to sew, knit, and quilt. I want to be able to give beautifully handcrafted gifts and come up with creative ways to decorate. A lot of my days are spent trying to find reality in the middle of what I want. It's an interesting thing.



6. In the two and a half years I worked at Subway, I rarely ate the same thing twice in a row. And I almost always got the specialty breads. In recent months, however, I have reverted back to my original sandwich--the six inch turkey on wheat, which I really didn't get too often when I worked there.



7. Today I had to explain that "Give me my longsword ho!" did not mean that Lord Capulet was calling his wife a ho four different times. It was easily the most I have ever said the word ho in one day. Ho, ho, ho. Just call me Santa Claus.



8. I can never remember how to spell the word occurrence. I may have it wrong here. Spell checker kicked me and called me a loser when I tried to type it on a test this morning.



9. I have a slightly obsessive personality. It's difficult for me to just like something. I can watch the same movies over and over again, listen to the same song over and over, and watch television episodes repeatedly. I've done it for a long time: Grease, Angels in the Outfield, Gilmore Girls (which is in a class of its own...I've probably seen every episode a dozen times), The Office, Jon and Kate Plus 8, the Rent and Wicked soundtracks, Chris Tomlin's new cd, etc.



10. When I want to get someone's attention or make a point, I'll sing the words I want to say. It happens some at school. Sometimes I make up songs for Andy, too. He has asked me to stop (just kidding).



11. I don't remember learning the normal pre-K and K songs as a child (I'm sure I did...my mama was a kindergarten teacher). What I do remember is singing The Beach Boys nonstop with my daddy at a very young age. In fact, I'll bet that if that cd is still in his car, we could rock out the next time I'm home. I do the high part, he does the low.



12. I desperately want to rock the boots/tights/skirt or dress look this winter. I just have to buy new boots, tights, and some more skirts and dresses. Sadly, every time I think I can do just that, something gets in the way. So I'm stuck with my sad old clothes instead.

13. I hate grocery shopping. It stresses me out to no end. And makes me irritated. I hate pushing the cart and getting stuck behind people. It's also irritating especially because I know exactly how much I may for each item, and I notice exactly how much those items have gone up in price recently. Velveeta cheese slices used to be 2.50; now they are 3.96. Even Aldi's prices have increased about 10-15 cents for most items.

14. Because I hate grocery shopping, I try to do it not very often. But it never works out. I'll write out a meal plan for everything I need for a few weeks, and something inevitably happens. We lose power for a week, and all my food goes bad. Or the store is out of six key ingredients, which necessitates a trip back. Or I'll think Andy has only gone through four slices of bread in one week, so he doesn't need a new loaf, and that very day he starts eating four pieces of toast each day. Or I just eat everything.

15. This is the last one. I am really, really focused. If I get it in my mind that I have to do something, I can't be dissuaded. If you ask me to do something when I'm already working on something, it's really difficult for me to switch gears. It happens a lot around the house...like I'll be thinking I need to get something done in a certain order, and Andy will ask me to do something else, or just to let it go, and I can't. It's especially an issue at school. Students will interrupt my thought process, or ask me something when I'm working on something else (like taking attendance or helping someone else)...and I get so confused because I was so focused on the first thing that I can't begin to process the second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Beach Boys cd is now in the house. I brought it in this afternoon to add it to the computer so he can listen to it during the day.

That way the entire family can rock out to the Beach Boys the next time we are together. :)
-Lauren