Monday, January 10, 2011

Family Weekend

Andy's grandpa did pass away last week.  It was a long week, and the internet was the last thing on my mind.

 

We were in Indy for the funeral over the weekend, and it was honestly one of the most special, sweet services I have ever attended.  I married into a pretty awesome family.  Each member of the family wrote a letter to grandpa containing some of their favorite memories and lessons from over the year, and a family member read excerpts of them during the service.  I don't know that there was a dry eye in the room.  Several things became a constant theme, almost a refrain of the important moments and ideas in Grandpa's life.  So many wrote about his love and adoration for Grandma.  Each of his sons and many of his grandsons wrote about his passion for his work and his family, and how he strove to provide for them and care for him.  His passion for woodworking and the lessons he taught his kids and grandkids in the shop.  All of these things and so much more were repeated throughout.  It was really incredible.

 

We ended up spending the weekend in Indy, staying with the family.  It was such a nice time.  I have so appreciated the opportunity to get to know Andy's aunts and uncles and cousins these past few weekends.  His aunt and uncle from California are seriously Oliver's favorite people.  Probably mine too. J They are so sweet and loving and so much fun.  Watching the way his uncle Jim's family has banded together and works together brings tears to my eyes.  His sons are incredible.  They have grown up so quickly as a result of their dad's accident, and are just phenomenal kids.  I got to do the crossword puzzle with the older son in that family yesterday, and it was such a sweet time.  He's applying to and being accepted to colleges and it was fun to talk about that process with him.  We talked books and life and all sorts of things.  I got to hear stories and watch them all interact with each other, and it just blew me away.  I've never seen a family like this one.  They are making plans to find ways to keep everyone together…plans to get together somewhere at least every other year or so.   I really hope it happens because this is a really extraordinary family and I want our son to grow up knowing them, and knowing where he came from.

No comments: