Sunday, August 17, 2008

And then it was the weekend

Friday was my first day of school. And I survived it. With moderately okay colors.

Actually, it was really a good day. It looked kind of like this.

Get to school. Find a present in my backseat from MJ that Andy snuck in the night before. Tear up about the AMAZING friends that I have. She got me salt water taffy (a recent addiction for both of us) and Sour Patch Kids (a longtime addiction for me) and both of her boys colored me a picture, which I hung on my filing cabinet.

Try to get inside the building. Fumble with my wallet trying to pull out my swipey key while surrounded by 20ish students who are locked out.

A math teacher arrives and swipes both of us in. She shows me where to put my key so I don't have awkward swipey moments.

Go up to my room. Think I'm going to throw up about 46 different times. Spend first period getting ready for the day, thankful to have a first hour prep. Make copies. Feel excited I figured out the copy machine with Mariah and Shannon the other day...so I didn't have to curse at it today. Think again how terrible it was that I cursed at the copy machine the other day.

Second hour finally starts. I have a class. They don't laugh at my jokes. They stare blankly at me. Someone falls asleep.

Third hour starts. My computer arrives. I'm trying to teach and talk to the tech guy all at the same time. I think I'm going to lose my mind. This class talks a lot. Too much. They don't stop.

Fourth hour starts. Finally. Lunch is during this period. This class is probably the best so far. They listen when they are supposed to, and they seem really sweet. I quickly eat my lunch and try to figure out how to check my email and do my online attendance. I think to myself that I'm thankful for those ten weeks in first grade last year, because I know how to use the classroom software.

Fifth hour arrives. I'm really sick of hearing my own voice. And saying the same thing over and over and over again. I realize about ten minutes in that I never introduced myself to this class. Oops. I'm going to have to be more careful. I'm starting to lose my voice. This class is rambunctious. I have like five class clowns in this room. They will be fun, but exhausting.

And then it's over. I have bus duty the first six weeks, so I make my way down there. And I'm glad it's over. I call Andy to tell him to expect me to be sitting on the sofa when he arrives home. But I'm not. Instead, I decide to try to learn how to make General Tso's chicken, because I'm a glutton for punishment. And I was craving Chinese food. Of course, maybe I should have just called the Hong Kong Kitchen. It's okay though...it tasted darned good.

I did, however, fall asleep from 6-8 on the sofa in the living room.

And that was my Friday.

Saturday was good too. I got my hair done (which I love). It's a little blonder this time, but I really like it. Andy changed the brakes in his car. How impressive is that? Seriously. I picked some tomatoes and gave them to the neighbors (did I mention that they don't like me, only Andy? and that I need to be liked?) I cleaned the whole house while Andy was on the phone. We had yummy pork chops, corn on the cob, and tomato/onion salad for dinner, hung out for a bit, then went to the late show of The Dark Knight with two other couples we had never really hung out with before and had a blast. I'd love to hang out with them again. I'm so glad they invited us.

And today was pretty relaxed. We had a good SS class, and church was great. We went to Wal-Mart to pick up some pictures I had printed for school. I napped. Andy went with me to school to help me hang up some stuff and see my classroom. And we've pretty much been relaxing since. I have worked on some school stuff. And just had an all around great Sunday.

2 comments:

Marla Alexander said...

Awwww, Ash! I'm so proud of you sweetie! You've finally entered the world of teaching. :) I'm sure your first week is going to be rough, but you'll be so great! Thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

How did the poems go? Can't believe you still cooked dinner! I haven't cooked since we got back from the wedding-I feel bad now. Brian started at Delaware Monday. We brought back half a lamb from Sligers, so I'm going to have to try to make shephard's pie tonight. And I have to cook for his birthday Friday.

Did you think Dark Knight was especially sad, or am I the only one?