Monday, June 22, 2009

Book Twenty: Shopaholic and Sister

I made an important decision early in the summer. I wasn't going to read anything that could be considered "literature." I'm only reading books. Books for fun. This is a big decision for me. I spend a lot of my reading time in the classics or in the great tomes that are being touted for their highly appealing storylines. Or in non-fiction. But for the next few weeks, I am only reading fiction, and only for fun. It's my summer vacation, and I need the break. It won't last long...just a few weeks, because I have some things to read for school, but it will be nice while it lasts. The other upside? I can polish off a book llike this in a day, no problem, so I'll get a lot read.

My first "fun" book was Shopaholic and Sister by Sophie Kinsella. I had read the original Shopaholic and The Undomestic Goddess last year, during a similar period of "light" reading. I loved both of them, and quickly forgot them. This proved the same. It was highly entertaining, but hardly sticks with you once you're finished. Becky Bloomwood's shopping habits make me feel better about my own. And meeting her sister, her polar opposite was a look at frugality at its worst. All in all, and enjoying evening of reading. I would love to read the other books in the series, but our library doesn't carry them and I am on a book buying fast indefinitely. So I may request it from another library, if I can get over the embarrassment of requesting such a shallow book.

No comments: