Monday, May 25, 2009

Summer Food

One of my favorite things about summer is summer food. And we have enjoyed it in full force this weekend. I love grilling season, salads, and eating outside. Light sandwiches, fruit, vegetables and all sorts of yummy-ness. So far we've grilled chicken and brats (burgers are up next) and plowed through strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. We've polished off tomato and onion salad, regular romaine salad, corn on the cob, and grilled zuchinni. And it's been oh-so-good. I'm craving a bagel with veggie cream cheese...or maybe an English muffin with hummus and tomato and onion....or avocado, cucumber, and turkey. I may need to make an extra trip to the store. I couldn't find any avocado at Kroger yesterday, so I may run to Wal-Mart after school (and break my one month fast....for avocados, it's worth it) and grab one.

Here are a few recipes from this weekend:

Tomato Onion Salad
4 large tomatoes, cut in slices (we just used 2 medium)
Red Onion, sliced (I used half, and it was too much)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1.5 T balsamic vinegar
Pinch of salt (large pinch of salt), sugar, pepper
Fresh basil

Mix oil and vinegar and seasonings. Arrange tomatoes and onions in serving dish. Cover with chopped basil. Pour oil mixture over top. Let the whole mix sit at room temp. for at least two hours before serving.

EDITED:
I took down the black bean and corn salad, because after I let it sit overnight I wasn't as fond of the taste. The other person eating it may have taken one bite, put down his fork and said, "I do not like this at all."

The vinegar was too grape-y, and the whole thing had a weird sweetness.

No comments: