Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother’s Day

We celebrated our first official Mother’s Day this year…and I obviously forgot to take any and all pictures. (Funny side story/example of me being a brat…Andy said that he thought that technically this would be my second mother’s day…since Liam was born two days after Mother’s Day last year…but I told him that since he didn’t recognize it or honor it or give me anything last year, I assumed he didn’t think it counted….because I am that cheerful and wonderful all the time).

This year’s Mother’s Day was nice.  We had Liam’s baby dedication at church, and Andy’s parents came down.  It was the first time they had ever been to our church, and the first time Andy’s dad has been to our house since Liam was three weeks old (Andy’s mom came to drop off their dog in March when we watched him).  So it was nice to have them here—Liam was definitely excited to see them.  It took him a while, though.  Sometimes when people come over and he isn’t used to them being at his house, he just sits and watches them a while…he did it with my grandparents.  Surprisingly, I don’t feel like he’s ever done it for my mom and dad or for his Aunt Lauren.

I got to pick out my own Mother’s Day gift because Andy forgot that it was Mother’s Day (another funny side story—last weekend I told him that I wanted herbs to plant for Mother’s Day, and Saturday morning I asked if we could go to Lowe’s to pick out herbs for my mother’s day gift…Saturday night he said, “Tomorrow is Mother’s Day?  Shoot…I feel like if I was paying attention, I would have figured out something you might want for Mother’s Day”).  So we went to Lowe’s and I picked out herbs for Mother’s Day…only neither of us brought our wallets.  So we had to drive back home and get a wallet and then I repicked out my gift.  And we dropped off some stuff at the Goodwill…not important, but I always like getting rid of stuff.

As for Mother’s Day itself, Andy was playing, so he had to leave for church early.  I got Liam and myself ready, and we all hung out with Andy’s parents before church.  Then Liam was dedicated during church, and he was so much bigger than the girls being dedicated…mostly because he so much older.  He watched Pastor Mike so intently as he was talking.  He was just taking everything in.  Then after church, we went to lunch at Bob Evan’s, which was a madhouse.  Liam did really well for the first part of lunch…then he discovered that because the booster seat at Bob’s doesn’t have a belt, he can stand up in it.  And so he did.  And then he tried to leap out of it..three times in a row.  So I spent the last 35 minutes of lunch cleaning up food off the floor, cleaning up food from Liam’s hair, and carrying Liam around as he clawed at me because he wanted to get down.  Bonus: I am getting really good at shoveling bites of food into my mouth while tilted all the way to one side to avoid grabby fingers.  Also..this is why we don’t eat in crowded restaurants.

Liam took a crazy long afternoon nap, and I had a really bad headache, so I lazed around on the couch with Ollie, and it was glorious.  I never totally napped, but I took it easy for the rest of the day, and it was lovely.  We really did have a sweet day, and I am so thankful for my sweet, wild boy.

No comments: