Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What a difference a day makes

 

Yesterday was a bad day.  Really bad, actually.  In a variety of different ways. 

Yesterday, I spent the day worried for my uncle, praying for his health, and waiting for the next email from my mom.  I was scared.  I was anxious for my uncle, and for his whole family.  I was anxious for my dad, at the hospital with his brother.  I was anxious for my mom, at school after a night of no sleep.  In the midst of that, my gradebook disappeared.  Every grade I had posted for the past six weeks had just vanished. 

Then, there were some issues at school that were totally out of my control, but I was shoved into the middle of that were difficult and hard.  And my students came back from the long weekend with stories of heartbreak and ready to share than I ever wanted to know.  Stories of boyfriends cheating with dozens of girls, stories of pregnancy and of abortion, and so much more.  Stories that affect high school students more than anyone cares to admit.

It was all too much.  For me, in that moment, I felt as though everything was crashing down.

At one point, I laid my head on desk and cried out to the Lord.  I needed a Savior.  My soul was heavy.  My heart was breaking.  I didn’t know what to ask, what words to speak.  I just needed a Savior.

Life is hard.  Yesterday, it was really hard.  Andy came home and asked me a question and  I sat down on the floor and cried.  It was all I could do in that moment.  And my dear husband got that.  He crawled onto the floor with me, held me, and cried out to God on my behalf.  He knew.  He knew I needed a Savior.  He knew my soul was heavy and that there was no earthly way to fix it.  So he cried out for me.

And today.  Today things look better.  Sorrow may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning.  Today may not have brought joy.  But today did bring new perspective and a brighter outlook.  It was a true reminder that we may be pressed, but we will never be crushed.  Because our God is good.  And when things look grim, there is always a tomorrow. 

No comments: