Friday, May 28, 2010

4 Days

There are four days of school left.  This is a random sampling of thoughts as they come from the mind of a tired, but overly caffeinated ninth grade teacher.
 
--If I read the word "you" in an essay one more time, I may lose my mind.  This is the last essay of the year, and they are no better at it now than they were at the beginning of the year. 
 
--I want a tattoo on my forehead that reads, "If you write the word you in an essay, I will rip out your armhairs."
 
--I want to redo my room for next year.  It's boring and ugly.
 
--I like the way I set up my desk today.  It looks good, and maybe the floor around it will get swept now.
 
--The dust bunnies under my desk should be called dust jackrabbits--they're freaking huge.
 
--We watched "The Odyssey" today.  There sure is a lot of "political discussion"...or "holding hands and cuddling" or any other number of euphemisms that have been used over the years
 
--I hope my kids forget "political discussion" later.  I'd hate to have to explain that.
 
--One of my kids said they wished I taught s-x ed.  I could never do that.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever.
 
--I haven't had my room to myself in nearly a week.  People have been using my lab for testing.  And it's making me so very tired.  I need my space.
 
--I love it when the French class has food.  This week I got to enjoy fruit, yummy sandwiches, crusty bread with Nutella, and quiche.  Man was it good.
 
--I love it when the yearbook staff goes out for lunch--because they can pick up my lunch too. 
 
--I need to find positive things to say about the essays I grade.  Is it bad that the only thing I can think of is "Way to set up your heading correctly" or "Good job spelling the names of characters"?
 
--I'm really happy about the three day weekend.
 
--I want a Dirt Devil KURV.  I need a new hand vac for little jobs, and it seems like a good one.
 
--My house is almost clean.  Which is unheard of for a Friday.  I've been drinking extra coffee after school and cleaning before Andy gets home to keep myself awake.  Which means my laundry is almost caught up, the kitchen is clean, the living room just needs a quick dusting (when Oliver can't reach the Swiffer duster and try to bite it), the bathroom is clean, and the bedroom is almost clean.  And the desk in my office is cleared off for the first time in awhile. 
 
--I want to throw away a lot of stuff.  At home and at school.  Both need it.
 
--I'm excited to redecorate my room and the house.  Both need it.
 
--I have a puppy treat in my pocket.  I keep pulling it out because I forget it's there.  People look at me strangely.
 
--I spilled water all down the front of my chest right before my class arrived this morning.  A disturbing number of students asked me about my wet chest.  It was awkward.
 
--I'm really glad there are only four days left. 
 
THE END.
 
PS--If students write "the end" on their essays--I count off points.  Because that is not a conclusion.  Nor is that a sentence.

No comments: