Saturday, December 20, 2008

Book Two: Breaking Her Fall

I finished my second book today.  It was Breaking Her Fall by Stephen Goodwin.breaking her fall  I wanted to like this book.  I really did.  It was being passed down the grapevine in the English department of my school.  I was warned about the first pages, so I knew what was coming.  I still wasn't prepared.  This book was just too dark, too graphic for my tastes.  The book is about a single father with a fourteen year old daughter and a twelve year old son.  It begins on a night in July with the father receiving a phone call that his daughter has been at a party and done something no father wants to think his fourteen year old daughter knows about.  He then reacts (badly) and a boy ends up getting seriously injured.  The rest of the book is about the fallout of that night, and the way their lives are changed.  I just never enjoyed it, really.  I think I only finished it because the other teachers had recommended it.  I just kept hoping it would redeem itself, but it never did.  So, we'll chalk that one up as a non-recommendation.  I'm sure there will be more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds slightly like an Oprah book...which I love, for some sick reason.