Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Time for some old friends

In the autumn, it’s time for everything to be cozy.  When the leaves start to change (and they are, here, more every day) and temperatures start to drop (definitely happening), there are a few autumnal traditions that I like to observe.

1. Autumn scented candles.  There is nothing like the fall months to bring out the desire to make it smell like fall.  I have three that I rotate between—pumpkin spice and mulled apple cider from Wal-Mart, and Yankee Candle’s Harvest candle.  We have them burning nearly constantly in the fall months.

2. You’ve Got Mail.  This movie feels like autumn to me.  There is nothing I like more than snuggling on the sofa (especially our new cozy sofa) and curling up with a blanket and some coffee or tea to watch You’ve Got Mail. 

3. Soup.  I told Andy the other day that I’m having a hard time menu planning, because I look down and realize I’ve written out four different types of soup and nothing else for the week.  Again, there’s nothing like a bowl full of yummy hot liquid to make you feel nice and cozy.

4.  Using the oven.  In the summer months, we tend to have to say no to using our oven.  I don’t know what the problem is, but it seems to heat up the house more than any I’ve ever seen.  So unless it’s very early in the day or very late at night, I usually avoid the oven in the summer. 

5.  Gilmore Girls.  Every fall I have a renewed desire to watch Gilmore Girls.  I think it’s the New England setting, but I love nothing more than watching Lorelai and Rory in the colder months.  In fact, I think I’ll do so starting tonight.  Andy is going to a friend’s house, and I don’t particularly care to watch The Biggest Loser when it’s on live.  I’m a bit of a snob, and I don’t think it’s necessary for any show on primetime to be two hours long.  Especially not a reality show (I’m talking to you too The Bachelor).  So I prefer to watch TBL on DVR, so I can fast forward through the boring parts.  Watching Gilmore Girls will be perfect tonight.

No comments: