Tuesday, October 6, 2009

For the very distant future

Dear Future Children,


Hi there.  I don't know you yet, but I will.  Eventually.  You will one day be my child.  And we'll have a lot of fun.  But I want to go ahead and get this out there--when you go to school, I'm afraid I can't let you eat school lunch.  Your dad might stand up for you and let you pick one day a week, but if it were up to me, you'd probably pack your lunch every day.


I have my reasons.  I work in a school now.  I see the lunch.  I see that it will not be healthy for you, and I want you to make healthy choices.  Just today, I saw a group of boys eating their lunch, and collectively, the most nutritious thing on any of the plates was a scoop of highly processed canned peas that glowed yellow with the margarine on them.  I don't want you ingesting that.  The others were downing Powerade, pizza, corn dogs, french fries, tater tots, and desserts.  They said they tasted good, which I don't doubt, but I want better than that for you.  I want you to taste real food.  I want you to enjoy the flavor of natural ingredients--things that are served the way that God intended them to be served.  I'm not saying we will never eat pizza or dessert.  I'm a big fan of both.  I just don't want them to be your lunch or your normal lunch.  I'm sure we'll have some occasional arguments about this, but I want you to know that I'm sticking to my guns.  You will eat far less processed food than some of the students I am seeing now.  Your diet won't be perfect, but it will be healthy and balanced.

Love,
Your Future Mom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for your future children. I heard a program on NPR over this past weekend. The "lunch lady" was talking about how much money they had to spend on each child for the lunches they provided. I don't remember the numbers exactly. But, you can cook very nutritious meals for very little money , if you actually cook from scratch. These over processed fast foods that they are passing off as food in the lunch rooms today aren't healthy for the children. Especially if they have them every day. Do you notice a difference in the children's attention and energy levels after lunch? I want to congratulate you on becoming a teacher and caring so much about the kids you teach !