Monday, December 5, 2011

Flipping the switch

One of the things I have learned in the last nearly seven months is that things can change at the flip of the switch.  This morning, for example, I was dancing with Liam and Ollie while listening to the Michael Buble Holiday station on Pandora (BEST.STATION.EVER), and I thought to myself that life just doesn’t get much better than that.  And it didn’t.  Nope, it went downhill.  Liam melted down (hello baby who is still wrecked after Thanksgiving and has had a rough two weeks) and started wailing and kicking.  And Ollie stole a toy and destroyed it and growled at me when I went to take it from him.  So I put Liam to bed and spanked Ollie.  And plopped him in his cage for a timeout (Ollie..not Liam).  So now I’m alone listening to my Pandora station, trying to gear up for the day. 

Last week was a lot of switches…so it’s kind of a struggle this morning.  I had my first cold as a mom (still do, actually), and it turns out it’s really hard to just rest on the sofa when you have a baby who wants to PLAYALLTHETIME.  And who goes on a nap strike.  And a husband who is working lots of extra time….  It’s all for a good thing, but it’s rough when the week where he hardly sees Liam coincides with the week I got sick.  And I hate all of our Christmas decorations…I honestly don’t have any ornaments on the tree (well..one, a ceramic bone I ordered with Oliver’s name on it).  It’s just sitting there with the lights and a pearl garland and the tree topper..and one Oliver ornament.  And my laptop broke.  It doesn’t recognize the battery exists anymore.  And my Kindle Fire stopped working…so Amazon is sending me a new one.  I think I’d rather just move my desktop (the hand me down I got from Andy) into the living room than replace the laptop right now.  So yeah…I’m trying to flip my switch to a more cheerful attitude.  Because I have a lot to be thankful for, and my bad attitude is just pretty dumb right now.

No comments: