Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Boosting Local Economy

I have been thinking a lot lately.  About a lot of different things.  About the way that we eat.  The way that we live.  And the way that we shop.  And I’m thinking about making some changes.  I haven’t fleshed it all out yet, but I know that I want to change things up a bit, and try some new things.

Today I want to talk about the way we shop.  I am a diehard fan of online shopping.  Love.it.  Just today I ordered two sweaters for fifty percent off from gap.com.  But I’d like to get better at shopping locally, too.  The small town I live in has NOTHING in the way of clothing, and very few grocery options.  But there are a lot of little specialty shops, places that are great little businesses that I would like to do a better job of supporting.  I was reading an article yesterday (in Country Living, I think) that recommended that every person try to spend 50 dollars a month in locally owned businesses.  I got to thinking about it, and I realized that with a little effort, I could do that easily.  Here are a few of the ideas I came up with.

Instead of always ordering new books from Amazon, I can check out the Village Lights bookstore downtown.

vlb_opening

Instead of ordering gifts, I can search out treasures at shops like Whimsy, The Attic, Something Simple or so many of the other cute little places downtown.

cafe-2

Instead of satisfying chocolate cravings with subpar chocolate from the grocery, I can swing by Cocoa Safari and indulge in the perfection that is a chocolate salted carmel.

CocoaSafariLogo

Instead of grabbing a bottle of whatever wine looks good at the grocery store, I can send my husband out to grab a bottle (or case) from the winery that’s just outside of town….and ten minutes away.

Do more of our eating out at places like The Downtowner, Cafe Dofi, Franco’s, Chez Danielle, the Pink Place, and some of the other great little cafes and eateries downtown.

As I think about it, fifty dollars a month seems pretty doable, at least for most months.  I look forward to trying out some new places and finding new businesses to support.

No comments: