Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What I’m Into: February

Recently, I saw somewhere this list of questions, as a kind of blog starter post…and I kind of thought it would be a great way to document what’s going on in our lives, and sort of in my brain.  So…every month or so, I thought I’d update, and at the end of the year, try to have a recap of year in a different light…through a new window, so to speak.  Although, I kind of guess this might be more of a January/February update…since some of it is what has happened, and some is what is/will be.  I’ll figure that out later.

On the Nightstand:

harrypotter2

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  Andy got me the hardcover versions of all the books for Christmas, so I’m working my way through the books again.  I recently made a decision in regards to books, one that fits my personality best.  All books will start as library books/Kindle books/Kindle library loans for me.  If I truly love it, and know it will be a read-again book, then I will buy it in hardcover.  Because hardcover looks so much prettier on the shelf, and is just so much nicer.  That way, I can have the books I love, and not clutter my future home with things that I don’t find useful.  So that’s why Andy bought me the Harry Potter books in hardcover…they are a definite read-again.

persuasion_H

Persuasion—Jane Austen.  Persuasion has my favorite Jane Austen heroine.  My parents got me the Penguin Classics hardcover versions of Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice for Christmas.  I read Pride and Prejudice last month, and am re-reading Persuasion this month.

51ZO0QtQjIL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_

Decorate—this was a birthday present from my parents and I cannot wait to peruse it.  I am super excited to start getting ideas for our second house.

At the Theater (or from the couch):

We went to see a movie in the theater in January.  We saw Les Miserables!  It was the second time we’ve been inside a movie theater since Liam was born.  The movie was really well done and lovely.  I cried.  And I truly loved the original song that was written for the film.  Here are the lyrics..I felt like it so captured that moment when one becomes a parent….the overwhelming feeling of love that engulfs you first realize that your child is your own.  I may have cried ugly tears in the theater, and wished my child wasn’t spending the weekend with my parents, so I could hold him close and breathe him in.

Suddenly you’re
Suddenly it starts
Can two anxious hearts
Beat as one?
Yesterday I was alone
Today you walk beside me
Something still unclear
Something not yet here
Has begun.
Suddenly the world
Seems a different place
Somehow full of grace
Full of light.

How was I to know
That so much hope
Was held inside me?
What has passed is gone
Now we journey on
Through the night.

How was I to know at last
That happiness can come so fast?
Trusting me the way you do
I’m so afraid of failing you
Just a child who cannot know
That danger follows where I go
There are shadows everywhere
And memories I cannot share

Nevermore alone
Nevermore apart
You have warmed my heart
Like the sun.
You have brought the gift of life
And love so long denied me.

Suddenly I see
What I could not see
Something suddenly
Has begun.

And I am trying to convince myself to try at least one Independent film on Netflix a month because it’s really easy for me to get sucked into tv shows and not watch anything that makes me think.  And thinking is a good thing.  Unfortunately, my first pick was really just kind of Eh….and not much for thinking.  It was mostly just kind of messed up.  I picked the movie Butter because it had Jennifer Garner.  But it was not one I’d watch again. 

On the small screen:

Here is where I say to you, Hi, my name is Ashley and I watch too much tv.  Way too much.  But my favorites in the last month were:

30 Rock—I was sad to see it go. But I liked it while it lasted!  Tina Fey is so seriously funny.  I mean seriously.

Downton Abbey—Although it made me cry harder than I’ve ever cried at a tv show before.

Sherlock—OHMYGOSH!!  I loved Sherlock.  Loved, loved, loved it.  Like I might rewatch it.  Loved.  Also…I’m weirdly into the BBC shows on Netflix right now. 

Nashville—I watched the first few episodes in the fall, then stopped for a while.  But I caught up on the season, and I’m rather enjoying it now.

In my ears:

I made a January playlist, but Liam’s dance mix got more play.  I need to make him branch out some, so I’m going to work on my February playlist shortly, and try to keep him on it a bit more.  Liam’s a big fan of Train and One Direction, but I need something a little deeper this month.  Liam also got this cd from my mother-in-law and it’s what we listen to in the car (and I so love it—it is Scripture verses set to music…amazing):

381830058-1 (1)

Around the House

I was going to hold on until we had a house for this…but I realized that I did just help Andy’s mom redo their bedroom.  We found some new pillows and curtains at Target (have you seen the Threshold brand for Target?  It’s everything I ever wanted in my life and then some….only a slight exaggeration….but seriously, so beautiful and so affordable)…and she painted her bedroom.  And here is where I would like to submit Benjamin Moore’s Bennington Gray for the award for perfect middle-ish beige.  It’s not too dark, not too light.  It’s not pinky or yellowy.  It’s just lovely and creamy and warm.  I will try to get a picture later.

In the Kitchen

Andy and I went back to slow carb (although we’ve since fallen off because of lack of grocery shopping…hopefully we will remedy that later today).  My new favorite recipe is for Indian spiced lentils.  Go here for a lovely legume recipe.  I have cooked a stinking ton this month, I just don’t remember what, exactly…except for the lentils.

In my closet

Nothing.  My dresser is an IKEA shopping bag.  I have two pairs of jeans that fall off my bum, and spend the rest of my time in yoga pants and long-sleeved tees.  We need a house…I miss my wardrobe…all packed away in boxes in storage.

In my mailbox

I got birthday presents from my Mom and Dad.  Andy bought a server…like for computers.  And some books for Liam.  Because I cannot stop myself.  I might get another card or two for my birthday, but that’s probably about it.  Oh…and our tax documents…those came, haha!

In my cart

Size 2T clearance clothes at Kohls and Target, because I assume that’s what Liam will wear in the fall.  He now has 4ish pairs of pants and 6 or 8 long sleeved tees to get through the last of this winter/start next fall.  Most of his 18 month clothes fit fine, and should get him to warmer weather,but just in case, I’m covered.  And if they still fit in the fall, then I am excited.  Because I have spent less than 20 dollars on all of it.  And I got Liam three new plates because they had my favorites again at Target.  Somehow, I can only find heavier weight non-slip toddler plates in the seasonal aisles at Target.  They didn’t have any for Christmas, but there are Valentine’s Day plates.  So now my son eats off of Halloween and Valentine’s plates every day.  And I bought a birthday present for a sweet boy who turns three this month…I got it with Kohls rewards this morning.

On my heart

I have been dealing a lot with old anxiety and fear issues.  You know, the ones that crop up every few years and seek to debilitate.  They are in full gear right now, and I’m kind of a wreck.  And general anxiety over Liam, and wondering if every bad thing that happens is my fault….and that other people don’t have the problems with their kids that we have with Liam, our strong-willed boy….and trying to figure out an appropriate level of correction

In my prayers

-Our house.  And the need for a new home.  We really need a new home….really, really.

-Andy’s dad.  He may be having surgery to close the wound in his back in the next month or two (his hole still takes 4 yards of gauze to pack…and they pack it twice a week), which will be a real blessing.  But until then, the constant pain and nausea he deals with daily are more than most could bear.

On the calendar

Interestingly, not much.  This month seems to slow down some after a recent whirlwind.

No comments: